Happy Birthday Rani Mukerji : Everything You Need To Know About The Birthday Girl
Rani Mukerji, one of Bollywood's leading actresses, turns 39 on 21 March. Though she doesn't appear in many films these days, the actress still has the magic to woo her fans with her films.
Here's Happy Birthday Rani Mukerji : everything you need to know about the birthday girl:Rani Mukerji comes from a film-oriented family of Bengali origin. Her father, Ram Mukherjee, is a retired director and one of the founders of "Filmalaya Studios". Her mother, Krishna Mukherjee, was a playback singer. Her brother, Raj Mukherjee is a film producer, now turned director. Her maternal aunt, Debashree Roy, was a Bengali-film actress and her cousin, Kajol, is a Bollywood actress.
Mukerji is a trained Odissi dancer, and began learning the dance in tenth grade.
Mukerji studied at Maneckjee Cooper High School in Juhu, and later enrolled at Mithibai College in Mumbai.
While in school at the age of 14, Mukerji did a cameo role in her father's Bengali film Biyar Phool (1992). In 1994, Salim Akhtar, a family friend, offered her a film called Aa Gale Lag Jaa (1994) but her father was against it as she was too young. Mukerji turned down the offer and Urmila Matondkar was cast instead.
Two years later, Salim Akhtar came up with another offer and insisted on her playing the protagonist of Raja Ki Ayegi Baraat (1997). After a long discussion with her father, she agreed to do the film. The film was unsuccessful at the box office and Mukerji returned to college to complete her education.
It was only afetr Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998) for which Rani Won a Filmfare award for best supporting actress, directors started taking her seriously, and she signed up to do 22 films.
Mukerji was offered the lead role in Hollywood film, The Namesake (2006) but owing to clashing dates with Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna (2006).
Awards and Recognization:
- Won a Filmfare award for best supporting actress for Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998).
- Won 'Best Actress' for Hum Tum (2004) at the Bollywood Movie Awards, Screen, Cinegoers, Sports World, 1st GIFA, Zee Cine, IIFA and at the 50th Filmfare Awards.
- Won accolades in the 'Best Supporting Actress' category for Yuva (2004) at the Bollywood Movie Awards, Screen and at the 50th Filmfare Awards.
- Won accolades in the 'Best Supporting Actress' category for Veer-Zaara (2004) at the Sports World, Cinegoers, IIFA and South Africa Awards.
- Won Sports World Jodi of the Year with Saif Ali Khan (2004).
- Only actress on Filmfare power list (2004).
She is the first actor to ever win both the Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress trophies in a single year (2005) at the Filmfare. She has won well over 60 awards to date.
Two movies in which she appeared have been India's entry to the Academy Awards. Paheli (2005) and Hey Ram (2000).
Three of her fils were nominated for Golden Globe: Black (2005), Paheli (2005), and Veer-Zaara (2004) were all part of the final process of nomination selection for the 63rd Annual Golden Globe Awards amongst 60 foreign films in 2006.
2005 has been her most successful year for Mukhrji as she worked with the biggest production houses and banners: Black, Bunty aur Babli and The Rising. These three movies were amongst the top ten grosser of the year. Paheli, while only moderately successful, was India's official entry to the 2006 Oscars.
In February 2005, she was the only woman on the listing of "Ten Most Powerful Names of Bollywood". Filmfare Magazine incorporated her into the Power List at # 10. She was ranked at # 8 the following year, a number ahead of Aishwarya Rai Bachchan. In February 2007, she was placed at #5 on the prestigious Power List, configuring the highest ranking for a woman. Rani has also been ranked # 1 in the Filmfare Top Ten Actresses' Listing for three years in a row (2004-2006).
Listed # 1 on Rediff's 'Top Bollywood Female Stars' Rankings for three consecutive years (2004-2006).
- Rani kept his relationship with Aditya Chopra secret for many years, she yelled at Simi Garewal on her chat show when Simi asked question about her relationship. Rani said "There's a lot I know about you too, which of course you wouldn't want me to bring up.", later Rani asked to delete that part from the interview.
- It is said that at times Rani have had cold wars with co-stars Kajol, Aishwarya Rai, Vivek Oberoi and Jaya Bachchan.
- Her brother Raja Mukherji was accused of molesting a young female director by saying that he'll introduce her to Rani Mukherji. Although Rani was not part of this controversy but the issue dragged her name into it.
- In November 2006, Mukerji was shooting a film in Varanasi when avid fans crowded the set. Security personnel beat the crowd back with sticks. A media storm followed as various groups insisted that Mukerji should have stopped the security guards. The actress later issued an apology.
Stars like Shah Rukh Khan, Aamir Khan, Salman Khan, Karan Johar, Sanjay Leela Bhansali, Aditya Chopra, Vikram Bhatt, Sohail Khan, Arbaaz Khan, famous choreographer Vaibhavi Merchant, Farah Khan', Sabyasachi Mukherjee, Manish Malhotra, Ashutosh Gowariker, Kiran Rao, Anil Kapoor and all his family including daughter Sonam Kapoor, the Deols, especially Bobby and Twinkle Khanna are amongst her best friends in the Bollywood.
On April 21, 2014, Rani and Aditya, surprised everyone with their marriage news. They got married in Italy with just their close friends and family around. On December 9, 2015 Rani gave birth to her 1st child at age 37, a daughter named Adira Chopra.
Mardani was her last film and she is gonna mark her return on screen with Hichki anounced recently and will also be heard in Koochie Koochie Hota Hai an animation movie in which she is dubbing for Tina.